KU Recreation Services
Notices & Events
- Annual Steam Shutdown: May 19-24
- •There will be NO HOT WATER May 19-24 in the ASRFC.
- •This will affect towel service, showers, and fluctuating temps in the building.
- •Thank you for your understanding during this planned shutdown.
- Canoe KU Trip Coming in May - Deadline Extended to May 22nd!
- •Trip will take place May 28 - June 3.
- •Float down the Buffalo River in Arkansas.
- •Don't delay, apply today!
- Racquetball Court #3 Closed Indefinitely
- •Due to shattered glass, this court is closed, but is anticipated to be open on June 17.
- •Thank you for your cooperation while it is being fixed.
- Enter the Leave Your Mark Design Contest
- •Submissions accepted April 17 - June 12
- •Open to any KU Student
- •Winning design will be put on wall by the track in the ASRFC
- Play-By 3-on-3 Men's & Women's BB Tournaments
- •Get your team together now for the summer tourney.
- •Registration will be from May 22nd - May 29th.; Play will begin May 31st
- •Register online at IMLeagues.com/KU
- Bikes for Rent in ODP
- •Outdoor Pursuits now has bikes available to rent.
- •Mountain and Comfort bikes are available.
Rock Climbing Wall FAQ
- How do I assess the Climbing Wall?
- Do I need to take Skills Check or an orientation class before I start climbing?
- How much does it cost to climb?
- Can I reserve the Climbing Wall for a special event?
- Can I rent climbing equipment for personal use outside the gym?
- Do I have to have pervious knowledge about climbing?
- Can I use my own equipment?
How do I access the Climbing Wall?
The climbing wall is located on the bottom floor of the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center in Room 1. When you enter the Rec. Center, make your way downstairs. Once downstairs, follow the sign to Outdoor Pursuits, Room #1. All climbers must check in at this location in order to climb the wall.
Do I need to take Skills Check or an orientation class before I start climbing?
The only requirements needed are to sign a waiver and a valid KU ID. If you would like to take a belay clinic, you will have the opportunity to sign up for them in Outdoor Pursuits. Belay clinics are offered Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m., and usually last an hour and a half.
How much does it cost to climb?
No cost involved for Students or Faculty with a valid KU ID.
Can I reserve the Climbing Wall for a special event?
The climbing wall is available for special events, for further inquiries please contact Outdoor Pursuits Program at (785) 864-1843 or email@example.com for availability and pricing.
Can I rent climbing equipment for personal use outside the gym?
Outdoor Pursuits does not check out harnesses, but climbing shoes are available for daily, weekend, and weekky rates.
Do I have to have any previous knowledge about climbing?
You do not have to have any previous knowledge to climb in our gym. We have extremely knowledgeable and well trained staff to assist you with any questions or concerns that you might have.
Can I use my own equipment?
Yes, you can use your own equipment. Upon check in climbers with their own equipment must present it to one of the staff members for a safety check.